Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Spread on pita bread or use as a dip for raw vegetables or pitas. From The Bean Harvest Cookbook
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried cannellini (3 cups cooked) or 1 1⁄2 cups other white beans (3 cups cooked)
- 1 cup bean stock, reserved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Sort, rinse, soak and cook the beans overnight.
- In the morning strain off the water.
- Put the beans in a pot along with water and cook for 45 minutes.
- Drain off water and save back 1 cup of bean stock.
- In medium-size pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- When hot, add onions and garlic and saute until the onions are translucent.
- Add the paprika, red pepper and cumin.
- Saute 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, stock, lemon juice, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings if necessary.
This reminds me a little of hummus, with a nice flavor from the lemon and cumin. Smooth texture, and much enjoyed. Thanks! Made for the PRMR game.