Recipe by mercurialdawn
Chicken with subtle spices, currants and honey in a tomato-based sauce. Simple recipe for 1.5 to 3 quart crock pot. From "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two"
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 8 ounces salsa
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray the inside of the crock with nonstick cooking spray. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add the almonds and cook, stirring, until golden, 1 minute. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon and set aside to drain on paper towels. When cool, coarsely chop.
- Add garlic to the skillet and cook, stirring, until just fragrant about 20 seconds. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook, turning once, until lightly browned (4 - 5 minutes). Transfer the contents of the skillet to the slow cooker.
- Combine salsa, currants, honey, cumin, and cinnamon and pour over the chicken. COver and cook on LOW for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, until the chicken is fork-tender and the juices run clear when pierced with a fork.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot, topped with toasted almonds.