1/2 Photos of Moroccan Spiced Salmon over Lentils
This is a wonderful spicy fish dish with a tomato sauce & lentils.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ground fennel
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup dry lentils
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 medium onion, grated
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 1 1/2 lbs Italian plum tomatoes, chopped (save the juice) or 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 (6 ounce) salmon fillets, with skin
- 1Spice Mixture: Combine all the ingredients for the spice mix then set aside to be used later.
- 2Place the lentils in a medium saucepan & cover with 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer. Cook until the lentils are tender, about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain any remaining water then season with salt and pepper and set aside, covered.
- 3While the lentils are cooking, warm olive oil over medium-low heat in a medium-sized saucepan. Cook the garlic and onions in the oil until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the harissa and 1 tablespoon of the spice mixture and continue to cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- 4Increase the heat to medium then add the tomatoes and their juices. Simmer the sauce, stirring occasionally, until the flavors are well blended, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- 5Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking pan with cooking spray & set aside. Season the salmon fillets with salt and pepper then coat them on both sides with the remaining spice mixture.
- 6Heat the canola oil & the butter in a large skillet. When the oil is very hot, add 2 salmon fillets to the pan, skin side down. Saute the salmon fillets for 3 minutes (do not turn over). Repeat with the other 2 fillets.
- 7Carefully transfer the fillets to the baking sheet & roast the salmon for about 6-10 minutes, or until the skin is very crisp and the fish is just cooked through.
- 8Spoon the lentils into the center of warmed dinner plates and set the salmon fillets on top, skin side down. Spoon the tomato sauce around the lentils and serve at once.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Spiced Salmon over Lentils
Serving Size: 1 (428 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 560.7
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 95.1 mg
- Sodium 131.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.4 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 48.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: