Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Spicy Salmon served on a bed of fruit and nut rice.
- 1⁄4 cup coriander seed
- 1⁄4 cup fennel seed
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seed
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons harissa (or my Harrief sauce)
- 35 ounces Italian plum tomatoes, drained and chopped, juices reserved
- unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
- salt and pepper
- In a medium skillet, combine the coriander, fennel, cumin and cardamom seeds with the.
- cloves. Toast the spices over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. Finely grind the spices in a spice grinder or mortar.
- In a medium non-reactive saucepan, warm 1/4 cup of the olive oil over moderately low heat.
- Add the garlic and shallots and cook, stirring, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the harissa and 1 tablespoon of the spice mixture and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juices and increase the heat to moderate. Simmer the sauce, stirring occasionally, until the flavours are well blended, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place 2 large ovenproof skillets over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil to each skillet. Season the salmon fillets with salt and pepper and coat them on both sides with the remaining spice mixture. When the oil is very hot, add 3 salmon fillets to each pan, skin side down.
- Put 1 piece of the butter next to each fillet and shake the pans to incorporate the butter into the oil. Sauté the salmon fillets for 3 minutes. Transfer the.
- skillets to the oven without turning the fillets and roast the salmon for about 6 minutes, or until the skin is very crisp and the fish is just cooked through.
- Serve with fruit and nut rice (rice with chopped apricots, chopped dates and toasted slivered almonds) setting the salmon fillets on top of the rice, skin side up.
- Spoon the tomato sauce on top and serve at once.