Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is fast and healthy!
- 7 cups hot water
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried brown lentils
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- In Dutch oven, bring water to a boil.
- Add lentils; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat over Medium-High heat until hot.
- Add onions; cook 8-10 minutes or until edges of onions are brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add onions to lentils.
- If desired for additional flavor, pour about 1/2 cup of lentil liquid into skillet; scrape bottom and sides to remove any bits of browned onions.
- Add to lentil mixture.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients.
- Cover: cook 20 minutes.
Easy simple recipe, very tasty. I added some celery. Nice combination of spices.
This was excellent! I made a few revisions, though: 1) I soaked the lentils for about 20-30 minutes 2) I didn't measure the spices, and eliminated the sugar. 3) I sauteed the garlic with the onions 4) Added 1 can of chickpeas. Thanks for the tip on adding lentil water to the skillet with the onions. Not only did it add great flavor, it also made cleanup a snap! Served with warm bread - delicious!
This was an excellent dish. Only one thing, I found it took longer than 10 mins to soften the lentils before adding the onion. I think I will soak the lentils for several hours prior to cooking next time.