Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A recipe from TV political correspondent Andrew Marr, that was on 'Full on Food' a year or so ago. Just found the print-out in my stash. Haven't made this yet, but I'm hoping to over Easter.
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees C/ 425 degrees F.
- In samll bowl, combine mint, apricots, dates, pine nuts, orange and lemon zests, and olive oil and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Press fruit mixture into leg cavity, tie with kitchen string to hold together. Spread harissa paste over leg and sprinkle with cumin seeds.
- Place leg of lamb in a roasting tin and roast in preheated oven 40 minutes per kilogram (20 minutes per pound) or until lamb is cooked to desired done-ness.
- Remove lamb from oven and let rest on cutting board a few minutes while you make the gravy.
- For gravy, put roasting tin on stove top and bring to a high heat. Stir in a teaspoon of harissa paste, (optional), a splash of red wine and enough water to bring it to a gravy-like consistency.
- Let gravy bubble and thicken until reduced by half.
- Carve lamb and serve with the gravy, bulgar wheat (kasha) aand a green salad.
Phenomenal! Harissa spiced leg of lamb with stuffing of apricots, dates, pine nuts and mint. We really enjoyed this one!
A delicious blend of flavours and a recipe I will certainly make again. Thanks for posting.