1/1 Photo of Moroccan-Spiced Fava Bean Stew
This is an untried recipe from Robin Robertson's Vegan Planet. I probably won't be trying it until fava beans are in season again but it sounds so good that I thought I'd post it in case anyone else wants to try it with dried, frozen or canned fava beans. The recipe notes that if favas are unavailable, you can substitute butter or lima beans. Serve over couscous or rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup mixed dried fruit
- 1/4 cup raisins or 1/4 cup dried currant
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow sweet onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 8 ounces green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups cooked fresh fava beans (or one 15-oz can fava beans, drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 cup frozen green pea, thawed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro or 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves
- 1Place the dried fruit and raisins in a small heatproof bowl. Add boiling water to cover and soak for 20 minutes to soften. Drain and set aside.
- 2Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and carrot, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, and cinnamon and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- 3Add the tomatoes, green beans, and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- 4Add the favas, peas, fruit, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer, uncovered, until the flavors are blended and the desired consistency is achieved, about 10 minutes.
- 5Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan-Spiced Fava Bean Stew
Serving Size: 1 (346 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 262.5
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 67.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.1 g
- Sugars 15.2 g
- Protein 10.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: