Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe looks really good. It is from Dave Lieberman (Food Network). I recently took a cooking class from him and it was great. So I am trusting that this will be great too!
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 3 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1 (5 ounce) packageprewashed Baby Spinach
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and onions and saute until onions are translucent (lower heat if browning starts to occur).
- Add spices and saute for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, chickpeas, broth and sugar.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Stir. Make sure chickpeas are covered with liquid. If needed, add a little more broth.
- Simmer gently for 45 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat.
- Use a potato masher to mash up some of the chickpeas.
- Stir in spinach and heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Really tasty flavours. DH really liked this as a light dinner along with a fresh salad and for breakfast!! I used less cayenne though per our preference. I used a unrefined extra virgin olive oil, the least amount of garlic cloves, a bit less cinnamon, a good canned plum tomatoes which I chopped up myself, Emirati Style Yellow Chicken Stock, sea salt, chopped frozen spinach nuggets and the rest. I will make this again and again.
Wonderful soup! I used 1tbls of oil, 1/2 ts of cayenne, 1/2 ts of brown sugar, and chopped spinach, but otherwise followed the recipe. For once I didn't add more garlic than called for: the amount is juuust right! ;-) Fabulous flavours - much thanks for a great recipe!
I too have this recipe via Dave Lieberman....I love it...a healthy, flavorful well rounded meal and you can use vegetable stock instead of chicken to make it totally vegetarian! Delicious...