Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Make and share this Moroccan Spiced Chicken with Almonds and Dates recipe from Food.com.
- 3 1⁄2-4 lbs chicken parts
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and cut into 1/4 inch slices (about 1 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 can chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pitted and quartered dates
- 1⁄3 cup whole blanched almond
- Coat chicken with flour.
- Heat oil in large deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add half of chicken; brown about 5 minutes per side.
- Remove from skillet.
- Repeat browning step with remaining chicken, adding onion.
- Return all chicken to skillet.
- Combine cinnamon, cumin, ginger and turmeric in small bowl; add to chicken.
- Stir to evenly coat chicken and onions with spices; saute 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in broth, lemon juice and salt; bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Stir in dates and almonds and cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over cooked basmati rice.
Yummy, don't skip the dates it adds lots of flavour, thanks for sharing.
This chicken was tender and tasted great; it created a delicous, colorful "gravy" to go on top of Wild Rice with Walnute and Dates (Wild Rice With Walnuts and Dates ). We served it with Apricot Salad (Stuffed Apricot Salad for One) and a Mediterannean zuchini/tomato side dish. The only changes I made to this recipe were to add a few pinches of cayenne and used bottled lemon juice since I had no lemons on hand. We will have this again. Thanks for sharing a delicous recipe for family dining and for company.