1/5 Photos of Moroccan Spiced Chicken and Fennel
I love the spice combinations of classic Moroccan cuisine. When I found this dish in one of my favorite chicken cookbooks I had to try it, as presented this is the recipe with my modifications. The flavors are just amazing and the orange juice and spices complement the fennel and red onion just so. (7 points)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Chicken and Fennel
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups fennel, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fennel leaves, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 cup orange juice (fresh squeezed but not neccessary)
- 1/3 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1Combine spices with pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Season chicken to coat both sides.
- 2Preheat large nonstick skillet, add olive oil. Cook chicken breasts about 5 minutes each side. Remove chicken and keep warm.
- 3Add the fennel and onions to the pan and saute for 7 mnutes or so. The fennel should be tender but not mushy. If the pan appears to be too dry, add a tablespoon of water. Should be enough to moisten without steaming the vegetables.
- 4Boil two cups of water with 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Add couscous to water and turn off heat. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff the grains before serving.
- 5Add juice, broth and the last 1/4 teasppon salt and bring to a boil for about 1 minute. Add constarch mixed in 1 tablespoon of water. Stir until it just begins to thicken, about 2-3 minutes.
- 6Add chicken and chopped fennel , cook 2 more minutes.
- 7Spoon coucous onto plate, with chicken and fennel and onions. Spoon portion of sauce on top.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Spiced Chicken and Fennel
Serving Size: 1 (442 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 385.8
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 72.6 mg
- Sodium 680.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 31.2 g