1/2 Photos of Moroccan Spaghetti (Very Low Fat and Healthy)
We had this for our main meal tonight. I rather heavily adapted it from the UK tv chef, Simon Rimmer's book 'Accidental Vegetarian'. I knocked out most of the fat he had in it (though it was all good fat) and changed around some ingredients to make it more low GI friendly. On top of being tasty this is pretty healthy. It is vegetarian, vegan, low fat, nearly saturated fat free and great for those of us with insulin issues because it is full of slow burning carbs with a low glycemic load. You could of course use normal spaghetti rather than the whole wheat kind but I use that just because it has a ton of fibre in it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 11 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 red onion, chopped finely
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 28 ounces chopped tomatoes, from a can
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 10 ounces chickpeas, from a can, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1Put spaghetti in a large pot of boiling water and cook as long as the packet suggests. Mine takes 10 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, heat a non-stick pan and spray with low fat cooking spray.
- 3Add the onions, garlic and mushrooms and sautee until they start to get soft which was about 5 minutes for me. If they start to stick just put in a splash of water. This is a good way to 'fry' things without fat.
- 4Add the tomatoes, cinnamon, cumin, turmeric and salt and pepper and lightly simmer for about 8 minutes stirring frequently.
- 5Stir in the chickpeas and heat just long enough to cook through, about 3 minutes.
- 6Stir in the fresh herbs and just mix through until they start to wilt.
- 7Add in cooked spaghetti and stir to make sure all of the pasta is coated in the sauce.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Spaghetti (Very Low Fat and Healthy)
Serving Size: 1 (413 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 426.6
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 279.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 18.4 g