Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
It's incredible hard for me to get lamb here so I made this soup using chicken and was very pleased with it. It's quite hearty and aside from being delicious it will keep you going for a long time.
- 1 lb lamb, cut into small cubes
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery & leaves
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, and
- cilantro, chopped and mixed
- 1 (2 lb) can tomatoes, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup lentils
- 1 cup chickpeas (canned are fine)
- 1⁄4 cup fine soup noodles
- 2 eggs, beaten with the juice of 1/2 lemon
- Put the lamb, spices, butter, celery, onion, and parsley/cilantro in a large soup pot and stir over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato pieces, and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes.
- Salt lightly.
- Add the juice from the tomatoes, 7 cups of water, and the lentils.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, add the chickpeas and noodles and cook for 5 minutes.
- Then, with the soup at a steady simmer, stir the lemony eggs into the stock with a long wooden spoon.
- Continue stirring slowly, to create long egg strands and to thicken the soup.
- Season to taste. ladle into bowls and dust with cinnamon.
- Then there's always those little bowls of extra lemon juice for you inveterate sour pusses.
Such a deliciously fragrant soup and so filling too! Loved the ingredients and the spices; especially the cinnamon. I used beef and omitted the eggs, but otherwise made per the recipe. Made for the NA/ME tag, October, 2013.
I also used chicken and omitted the eggs and soup noodles, otherwise made as stated and reduced recipe by 1/2 without trouble. Just love the flavours in this soup; healthy, flavourful , filling and warming. Made for PRMR
Made for Photo Tag. I had to adjust a couple of things but the outcome was still so delicious! I used chicken as you did but opted to not put chickpeas or the pasta.I just can't digest the chickpeas but I increased the lentils to 1 cup.I added some lemon juice which gives this a whole new flavour level. Highly recommended for being so flavourful and hearty.