Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a very healthy soup made of sweet potato, spinach and chick peas. It's lovely in winter.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 fresh chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 1 large sweet potato
- 14 ounces chickpeas
- 4 tablespoons chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 liter vegetable stock
- 4 ounces frozen spinach, leaf frozen
- Saute onion in olive oil until softened then add all the spices and fry for a little until browned.
- Add sweet potato and continue to saute.
- Add vegetable stock, with tomato, honey and mustard.
- Drain chick peas and wash in cold water, then add to soup.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Bring soup to boil and allow to simmer for 1 hour.
- Add spinach when all other ingredients are cooked and let it wilt.
- Season to taste.
This was fabulous seriously loved it and will make it a standard in my kitchen.
It was chilly today so I wanted soup.This was very good. I was very pleased that my kids loved it. I'm always looking for ways to trick them into eating their veggies. My kids devoured this and even ate seconds.I Warmed a baguette and sliced it and served it with it.