1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Wendys Kitchen's Note:
Another Epicurious recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 lbs trimmed boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 1 1/2- to 2-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained (chickpeas)
- 1 cup dried apricot (about 5 ounces)
- 2 large plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons packed grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1Mix first 6 ingredients in large bowl. Add lamb and toss to coat.
- 2Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 3Working in batches, add lamb to skillet and cook until browned on all sides, turning occasionally and adding 2 more tablespoons oil to skillet between batches, about 8 minutes per batch.
- 4Transfer lamb to another large bowl after each batch.
- 5Add onion and tomato paste to drippings in skillet.
- 6Reduce heat to medium; sauté until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- 7Add broth, garbanzo beans, apricots, tomatoes, cinnamon sticks, ginger, and lemon peel and bring to boil, scraping up browned bits.
- 8Return lamb to skillet and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until lamb is just tender, about 1 hour.
- 9Uncover and simmer until sauce thickens enough to coat spoon, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.).
- 10Transfer lamb and sauce to bowl. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Slow Cooked Lamb
Serving Size: 1 (427 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 755.9
- Calories from Fat 463
- Total Fat 51.4 g
- Saturated Fat 19.0 g
- Cholesterol 136.0 mg
- Sodium 967.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 13.7 g
- Protein 38.2 g