1/4 Photos of Moroccan Skirt Steak W/Roasted Pepper Couscous (ZWT-9)
Entered for ZWT-9, this is the 2nd of 3 recipes from an article at the Eating Well website titled “Healthy Couscous Recipes”. Per the recipe intro: “Thin cuts of beef (such as skirt steak or sirloin steak) cook very quickly when seared in a hot skillet -- Just right for a busy weeknight. We love how the spicy Moroccan flavors of the steak compliment the sweet, roasted pepper-studded couscous. Serve w/an Arugula salad & a glass of Pinot Noir.” Prep & Cook times were noted as an identical total, but I have allowed an extra 10 min for ingredient assembly. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Steak & ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 lemon (Plus more lemon wedges for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (for couscous)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (for steak)
- 2/3 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1 lb skirt steak (Or sirloin steak, 3/4 to 1-in thick & trimmed)
- 2 tablespoons green olives (chopped)
- 1Position oven rack in upper third of oven & preheat broiler.
- 2Place bell peppers on a baking sheet & roast under the broiler (turning every 5 min) until charred & softened (10-15 min). Transfer to a clean cutting board. When cool enough to handle, chop peppers into bite-sized pieces.
- 3Meanwhile, combine cumin, coriander, salt, turmeric, cinnamon & pepper in a sml bowl. Grate 1/2 tsp zest from the lemon. Juice the lemon into a 1-cup measure & add enough water to make 1 cup. Pour into a sml saucepan & add the lemon zest, 1 tsp of the spice mixture & 1 tsp olive oil. Bring to a boil. Stir in couscous, cover, remove from heat & let stand.
- 4Heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil in a lrg skillet over medium heat until shimmering (but not smoking). Rub the remaining spice mixture on both sides of steak. Cook the steak 2 to 3 min per side for med-rare. Let rest on the cutting board for 5 minute Stir olives & the peppers into the couscous. Thinly slice the steak & serve w/the couscous & lemon wedges as desired.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Skirt Steak W/Roasted Pepper Couscous (ZWT-9)
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 252.4
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 73.7 mg
- Sodium 580.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 24.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole wheat couscous