Recipe by Muffin Goddess
Great shrimp appetizer. You could probably stretch this into a meal with some couscous and veggies, too. Untried by me, posted for ZWT. Adapted from "Around the World in 450 Recipes".
Top Review by diner524
Made this as one of our shrimp appetizers to our dinner last and it was a hit!! I only made 1/2 of the recipe and we chose to grill the shrimp, like we were the others, and basted them with the marinade/sauce. I then served it with some of the reserved sauce and lemon wedges. Like other reviewers stated, definitely no hot but nice and tasty with a little bit of the heat, which I really enjoyed. Thanks for sharing a great recipe. Made for ZWT 9.
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- lemon wedge, for garnish
- chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large frying pan. When the butter begins to sizzle, add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the spices (cumin, ginger, paprika and cayenne pepper) to the pan. Cook, stirring, for a few seconds.
- Add the shrimp. Cook shrimp for 2-3 minutes over high heat, stirring to avoid burning the spices. As soon as all the shrimp have turned pink, they're done. Avoid cooking for much longer past this point, because shrimp very easily become overcooked.
- Transfer shrimp to warmed serving dishes. Pour the spicy butter mixture over each serving. Garnish with lemon wedges and some chopped cilantro.
- Serve immediately.