Kozmic Blues's Note:
The sweetness of the golden raisins is a nice compliment to the smokey cumin in this dish. This recipe was adapted from one I found in Real Simple magazine. It might be nice to add a little "heat" to this dish too. Some cayenne pepper or a small chili might compliment the fragrance of the cinnamon and sweet raisins. I would have liked to garnish this with cilantro, but used scallions instead!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (10 ounce) box couscous (I like Near East brand)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup golden raisin
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- cilantro (optional) or scallion, to garnish (optional)
- 1Prepare couscous according to package directions.
- 2Rinse shrimp and pat dry.
- 3Season with salt and pepper to tast and set aside.
- 4Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- 5Add onion, salt and pepper.
- 6Cover and cook until onion is soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- 7Add cumin and cinnamon and stir to coat onions.
- 8Next, add bell pepper and raisins and cook for about 4 minutes more.
- 9Add tomatoes, and simmer mixture for another 3 minutes.
- 10Finally, add the shrimp and cook until shrimp are pink and cooked through, about 3-4 more minutes.
- 11Serve with couscous.
Browse Our Top Moroccan Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Moroccan Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Shrimp over Couscous
Serving Size: 1 (499 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 558.3
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 220.8 mg
- Sodium 496.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 24.6 g
- Protein 36.4 g