Cook1 hr 15 mins
Modified version of a Jane Brody recipe. You can substitute sliced surimi sticks for the shrimp or scallops but, if you do so, do not add until salad has been dressed and tossed or the surimi will shred. Cooking (passive) time also includes chilling time.
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 6 slender scallions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
- 1 medium red bell peppers or 1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup currants (optional) or 1⁄4 cup raisins (optional)
- 3⁄4 lb small shrimp or 3⁄4 lb bay scallop, cooked
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups chicken bouillon
- 1 1⁄2 cups couscous
- 1⁄4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot curry powder (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Steam broccoli 5 minutes, drain and refresh under cold running water; place in large bowl.
- Add scallions through seafood.
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the couscous, parsley and thyme, and cook 30 seconds; remove pan from heat, cover tightly and let stand 5 minutes.
- Make dressing: Whisk the seasonings into the lemon juice; gradually mix oil into the lemon juice until emulsified.
- Add the couscous, while still hot, to the vegetable mixture; add the dressing and toss to combine well.
- Chill at least 1 hour.
- Sprinkle with chopped pecans, pine nuts or other nuts of your choice before serving.