1/3 Photos of Moroccan-Rubbed Grilled Steak and Sweet Potatoes
I've not yet tried this recipe, but it sounds great for the grill this summer. A Moroccan-inspired spice rub coats the steaks and is tossed with the sweet potatoes as well. The foil-packet cooking method for the sweet potatoes yields excellent results (and fewer dishes). From EatingWell magazine April/May 2006, and "EatingWell Serves Two". Dietary Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 medium-fat meats, 1 fat (1 Carbohydrate Serving). Posted for ZWT6.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb strips steak, trimmed of visible fat and cut into 4 portions
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound total)
- 1 medium red onion, halved and very thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1Preheat grill to high.
- 2Combine allspice, cumin, ginger, salt, cinnamon, coriander and cayenne in a small bowl.
- 3Sprinkle steaks with 4 1/2 teaspoons of the spice mixture.
- 4Toss sweet potatoes and onion with canola oil, orange zest and the remaining spice mixture.
- 5To make a packet, lay 2 24-inch sheets of foil on top of each other (the double layers will help protect the ingredients from burning); generously coat the top piece with cooking spray.
- 6Spread half of the sweet potato mixture in the center of the foil in a thin layer. Bring the short ends of foil together, fold over and pinch to seal. Pinch the seams together along the sides to seal the packet. Repeat with two more sheets of foil and the remaining sweet potato mixture.
- 7Place the packets on the hottest part of the grill and cook, switching the packets' positions on the grill halfway through cooking, 5 minutes per side.
- 8Place the steaks in the front or back and cook, turning once, about 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- 9Transfer the steaks to plates and let rest while the packets finish cooking. Open the packets (be careful of steam) and serve alongside the steaks.
- 10Make it a Meal: Sautéed greens, such as arugula, kale or spinach, and a glass of Zinfandel round out the meal.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan-Rubbed Grilled Steak and Sweet Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 398.1
- Calories from Fat 238
- Total Fat 26.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 534.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 22.1 g