The word pilaf is enough to send me right to the dining table with a mouth that can't wait any longer to begin my meal. This is a wonderful pilaf(pulao) from the Thursday magazine dated August 10-16'06. Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter on medium-low heat in a small ovenproof pot.
- Fold in onions and stir well.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes until onions turn translucent but are not browned.
- Add cumin, cayenne pepper, paprika and rice.
- Stir well so that the rice is evenly coated with butter.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in stock and raisins.
- Bring to a boil on high heat.
- Once the stock comes to a boil, cover the pot and let the pilaf cook in the oven for 18 minutes.
- Fold in salt, pepper and almonds before fluffing with a fork and serving.
easy and delicious!! Thank you so much for sharing it was just what I was looking for!
This is absolutely an awesome side dish! I made this along with a Moroccan style chicken and it was a hit. I used chicken broth instead of water and did the 2:1 ratio for liquids, 2 cups liquid to 1 cup rice and it was perfectly moist, also I didn't have almonds so I used walnuts, it was still great. Easy to make! Definitely on my permanent menu!
This was really good. I used ordinary parboiled white rice, and it was still tasty and spicy. I really enjoyed the sweetness of the raisins contrasted with the spicy rice.