Recipe by Derf
We have cooked both types of roast, both on the bbq grill and in the oven, either way they are delicious, lots of taste, if you prefer rare, remove earlier. The veggies are wonderful and it is great to have a whole meal in one carefree operation. Marinating time up to 24 hours.
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds, crushed
- 2 tablespoons lemons, rind of, finely shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed, crushed
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon red pepper, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 4 -5 lbs beef rib roast or 4 -5 lbs leg of lamb
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and cut into silvers
- assorted peeled and cut up vegetables, such as potatoes,carrots,turnips and peppers
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together coriander seed, lemon peel, olive oil, cumin, red pepper, and salt in a small bowl.
- Rub surface of rib roast thouroughly with coriander mixture.
- Cut 1/2 inch wide slits randomly into top and sides of roast.
- Insert garlic slivers deep into slits.
- Cover and refrigerate roast for up 24 hours, if desired.
- Prepare grill for indirect grilling.
- Test for medium heat above the drip pan.
- Place roast on the lightly oiled grill rack over drip pan.
- Cover and grill for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until an instant read thermoter inserted into the centre of the roast registers 155f degrees for medium doneness.
- Add assorted cut up veggies to grill during the last 45 minutes of cooking, removing setting them aside as they become tender.
- Carve rib roast and serve with grilled veggies.
- If using a leg of lamb, grill for 2 to 3 hours or until thermometer reads 155f degrees for medium doneness.
- Either beef or lamb roast may also be cooked in the oven at 400f degrees until thermometer reads 155f degrees for medium doneness, for approximately the same number of hours.
- Add veggies to the oven rack outside the roasting pan for about the last hour of cooking.
- Serve with roast.