Recipe by Chef Kate
A lovely roasted fish from Morocco, originally appeared in Saveur in 1999. Cook time includes thirty minutes marinating time.
Top Review by Paris D
This was incredible! Next time we make it, we're going to triple or quadruple the vegetables so we can eat the leftovers as a side dish later in the week. This literally was one of my favorite recipes so far on this website!!! Thank you so much for posting it!
- 3 tablespoons toasted cumin seeds
- 12 peeled crushed garlic cloves
- 1 bunch chopped fresh parsley
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 lemons, juice of
- 2 (3 lb) cleaned scaled red snapper
- 3 sliced peeled carrots
- 12 sliced new potatoes
- 4 sliced tomatoes
- 1 sliced sliced seeded stemmed green bell pepper
- 1 sliced lemon
- 5 whole mild green chilies (such as anaheims)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Grind together cumin seeds, garlic cloves, chopped parsley and salt with a mortar and pestle.
- Transfer to a small bowl and mix in the lemon juice.
- Place red snappers in a large, shallow baking pan and rub spice mixture all over fish.
- Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 500°.
- Remove fish from refrigerator and scatter carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, green bell pepper, sliced lemon, green chiles (such as anaheims) over and around fish.
- Pour water and extra-virgin olive oil over fish and vegetables.
- Bake, basting often, until fish is cooked through, about 30 minutes.