Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
The recipe for Chermoula (a mixture of garlic, sea salt, and spices that adds great flavor to the dish) is included. Fish needs 1 hour marinating time. From Ethnic Cuisine.
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus extra
- fresh fresh cilantro stem, to garnish
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil, plus extra
- olive oil, for oiling
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice or 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 12 ounces red snapper or 12 ounces pompano, cleaned and scaled
- lime wedge, to garnish
- For the chermoula, pound the garlic with the sea salt in a mortar and pestle. Gradually work in the cilantro and spices. Transfer to a bowl and gradually whisk in the oil. Add lemon juice.
- Make 3-4 diagonal slashes on both sides of the fish. Rub the chermoula into the slashes. then put the fish in a glass casserole. Marinate in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Preheat the broiler to high and put fish onto an oiled broiler rack and cook 4-5 minutes on each side until fish flakes easily. Serve immediately, garnished with cilantro and lime.
- This dish can also be prepared on the BBQ for just about the same amount of time.