1/1 Photo of Moroccan Ramadan Couscous With Meat and Veggies
Decorative and tasty. Beautiful colors. Great for a family or friends gathering. Use chicken instead of lamb if the guests are not used to eating lamb, it has a strong taste. You can plate it seperately or as a large centerpiece.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 lbs lamb or 2 lbs chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 red bell pepper, minced
- 2 carrots, quartered
- 1 zucchini, quartered
- 1 yellow squash, quartered
- 1 medium potato, peeled and quartered
- 1 (16 ounce) can chickpeas
Caramelized Onion Topping
- 1Mix all spices in a dish and set aside.
- 2Chop meat into large chunks. Heat oil. Brown meat on all sides for 5 minutes.
- 3Add onion and garlic. Sauté for 5 more minutes.
- 4Add water, spices, and tomato sauce. Cook for 5 minutes.
- 5Add carrots and potato pieces. Cook for 10 minutes.
- 6Add zucchini and bell pepper to stew. Cook for 20 minutes.
- 7Add the chickpeas and cook last 5-10 minutes.
- 8Meanwhile, prepare onion topping. Sauté onions to a light brown color.
- 9Add rest of topping ingredients and cook till caramelized and bubbly. Set aside.
- 10Boil the water for couscous. Add chicken base and butter.
- 11Add couscous. Make sure this is the last part of the recipe you make.
- 12Once the couscous is added, leave it alone for 5 minutes.
- 13Fluff couscous with fork. Time to eat!
- 14Serve any way you like. I plate the cousouse and top it with as much or as little stew as I want. Then I add the vegies that I want and top it all off with the sweet onion/raisin topping.
Browse Our Top Moroccan Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Ramadan Couscous With Meat and Veggies
Serving Size: 1 (756 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 869.5
- Calories from Fat 301
- Total Fat 33.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 100.3 mg
- Sodium 1398.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 107.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 32.6 g
- Protein 35.4 g