Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
These kebabs are baked in the oven, but could easily be thrown on your grill if you prefer. They are made with pork loin, eggplant, and onions. The recipe is based on one that appeared in "Real Simple" magazine.
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless pork loin, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes (unpeeled)
- 1 small red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- pita bread or flat bread, for serving
- 1⁄2 pint tzatziki, optional for serving
- 1⁄2 small cucumber, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- wooden skewer, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F; line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together orange juice, tomato paste, garlic, cumin, cinnamon, 2 tablespoons of the oil, a teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper; add pork, toss to coat, and marinate at least 30 minutes, up to 8 hours (refrigerate if longer than 30 minutes).
- In the meantime, combine the eggplant, onion, remaining oil, salt, pepper; thread on skewers, alternating the eggplant and onion.
- Roast the vegetables 20 minutes, turn over.
- Thread the pork on skewers and add them to the pan.
- Roast until the vegetables are tender and the pork is cooked through, another 25 minutes, turning both once.
- If desired, wrap the bread in foil and place in oven during the last 5 minutes.
- Serve with tzatziki, cucumbers, and mint leaves.