1/1 Photo of Moroccan Pesto Rockfish With Clam and Chorizo Sauce
2 hrs 30 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
This recipe is by Tamara Murphy of Seattle's Brasa Restaurant, via John Shields. Ms. Murphy says to be authentic, you should prepare the pesto in the Moroccan way, by pounding the ingredients in a mortar with a pestle. Food processor instructions are included for the modern cooks. Red snapper is also great in this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon toasted cumin seed (see note)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 24 ounces rockfish fillets
- 1 green onion, slivered, for garnish
For the Clam and Chorizo Sauce
- 12 -20 small clams (3-5 per person)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1 lb chorizo sausage, casing removed and sausage crumbled (or other flavorful sausage)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- salt and pepper
- 1 lemon, juice of, strained
- 1For the Pesto:.
- 2Mortar and Pestle Method:.
- 3Place the parsley, cilantro, garlic, cumin, lemon juice, and salt in a large mortar with a little of the olive oil and pound into a paste with a pestle. Add the remaining olive oil. Slather mixture on the fish and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
- 4Food Processor Method:.
- 5Place the parsley, cilantro, garlic, cumin, lemon juice, salt, and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until mixture forms a paste. Add remainder of olive oil, a tablespoon or so at a time, and pulse to mix well. Slather on the fish and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
- 6For the Sauce:.
- 7In a large pot or saute pan, heat olive oil. Add shallots and garlic and cook on low heat for 1 minute. Add sausage and cook through. Add tomatoes, clams, and wine. Cook until clams open. (Discard any that don't open.) Season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- 8For the fish:.
- 9Heat a scant 1/4 inch of good olive oil in a large saute pan. Remove the rockfish fillets from the refrigerator and saute approximately 4-5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the fillet (Fish should be cooked through until opaque and flaky for best flavor).
- 10To serve, place the cooked fillets on a platter, and place the clams around them. Spoon the sauce over the fish and garnish with green onion slivers.
- 11Note: To toast cumin seeds, heat oven to 400 degrees F. Spread seeds on a baking sheet and cook until fragrant, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Browse Our Top Clams Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Pesto Rockfish With Clam and Chorizo Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (422 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 950.5
- Calories from Fat 631
- Total Fat 70.1 g
- Saturated Fat 20.2 g
- Cholesterol 193.1 mg
- Sodium 1701.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 63.6 g