Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
From the Back of the Box Cooking cookbook. Courtesy of The J.M. Smucker Company.
- 2 tablespoons crisco pure canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, diced
- garlic clove, minced (use 2 - 3 garlic cloves)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1⁄2 cup jif crunchy peanut butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas (tiny deluxe, if possible)
- 1 cup couscous
- Heat canola oil in a 2 1/2 or 3 qt saucepan, over medium heat. Add the onions, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook until just translucent. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Whisk in the peanut butter and cumin. Blend well. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Add peas and bring to a boil. Stir in couscous and return to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Cover and let sit about 5 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and serve.
This did not work for me, the sauce thickened and the couscous dried up too fast. Maybe it has a lot to do with the fact I am not used to cooking with couscous and didn't really know the consistency of it. The flavours were nice though....
Very easy to make and delicious, a new family favorite! I used a roasted red pepper and a whole 14 oz. can of chicken broth. Made for ZWT6 Family Picks.
Very interesting and tasty couscous! I don't care for onion so left it out, otherwise made as specified. This has a really rich flavor that I think needs to be served with something spicy - I served with Moroccan-Spiced Chicken Breasts and it was a perfect balance. Thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for ZWT6, Zwizzle Chicks