Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Another recipe I stumbled across & fell in love with on a search for something else. My recipe source is "The New Enchanted Broccoli Forest" by Mollie Katzen. Recipes w/10 min prep times always get my attention (esp ones w/flavor combos like this one!) & the serving method sounded like so much fun to do w/your family or at a dinner party w/friends. :-)
- 6 large oranges
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 lb mixed salad green (clean, dry & chill)
- 1⁄2 small red onion (thinly sliced)
- 10 radishes (thinly sliced)
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste, freshly ground)
- 1 cup walnuts (toasted & chopped)
- Peel & section oranges using a sharp paring knife or serrated knife. (To do this, 1st cut off the polar ends of the peel & then slice the peel off the sides. W/a gentle sawing motion, cut in 1 side of the membrane & out the other, releasing ea orange section in a bowl. Squeeze all excess juice from the remaining membrane into the bowl as well & pick out seeds, if necessary.) Discard membrane.
- Drizzle honey & sprinkle cinnamon into the orange slices. Stir gently to mix, cover & set aside till serving time.
- Just b4 serving, toss greens in a lrg bowl w/onion, radishes & olive oil. Season to taste w/salt & freshly ground pepper.
- TO SERVE: Bring orange sections, tossed greens & walnuts to the table in separate containers. Let ea person assemble his or her own salad by piling some greens on a plate, spooning over some oranges-au-jus & sprinkling a few walnuts on top.
The presentation is what makes this salad shine! I loved how the toppings come together to provide such yummy flavor - the honey-cinnamon oranges are awesome. I thew in a little red pepper since I had some to use up. Great salad! Made for ZWT6.
This was definately something different for me. I enjoyed the crisp freshness of this salad. I think it paires well with lighter fare such as tuna or salmon and some rice pilaf. My only mistake in making this recipe is that I had it with a pasta dish that did not balance well with the salad. I would definately call this salad "very good" if I had ordered it in a cafe. Thanks for sharing with us.
Perfectly delicious! The radishes really compliment the orange -but dh picked his out. LOL! And love the cinnamon. I like Molly Katzen's recipes. Thanks twissis for posting. Made for Unrulies Under the Influence during ZWT6.