1/1 Photo of Moroccan Orange-Blossom Scented Carrot Salad
Muffin Goddess's Note:
LIght Moroccan meal starter, untried by me. Note that cooking time includes chilling time. Adapted from "It's All American Food" by David Rosengarten. Posted for ZWT NA*ME
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 garlic clove, mashed into paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (or 1 packet of True Lemon)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom water, divided
- 1 lb carrot, scraped and cut diagonally into 1/8-inch thick slices (approx. 4 cups sliced carrots)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil over high heat.
- 2While you're waiting for your water to boil, Stir together 1 tsp of the orange blossom water and all other ingredients except for the carrots and parsley in a medium mixing bowl. Set dressing mixture aside.
- 3Once your water is at a full rolling boil, add the carrots and cook until tender but still a bit crisp (I'm guessing about 10 minutes for this, because the carrots are so thin, but you'll have to check them as they cook so you don't end up with mushy carrots). When the carrots are done to your liking, drain them and add them to the dressing bowl, tossing to coat thoroughly. At this point, if you can fit the mixing bowl in your freezer, do so. If, like me, you can't even fit a cereal bowl in your freezer, dump the dressed carrots into a large freezer bag and seal tightly (don't want your freezer smelling like Moroccan dressing, even if it does contain orange blossom water!), and place in the freezer.
- 4Allow the mixture to chill for about 15 to 20 minutes, tossing once or twice. Remove from the freezer and pour into a serving bowl if using a freezer bag.
- 5Toss mixture once more with the remaining orange blossom water. Salt to taste, if desired (if you salted your water enough for the carrots, you may not need any additional salt).
- 6Serve either slightly chilled or at room temp, sprinkled with the parsley.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Orange-Blossom Scented Carrot Salad
Serving Size: 1 (129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 144.4
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 80.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 1.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
orange blossom water