1/2 Photos of Moroccan Orange and Almond Cake
1 hr 10 mins
A moist, flourless cake, using semolina and ground almonds instead. Dust the cake with confectioner's sugar, serve accompanied by strained, plain yoghurt and drizzle the remaining orange syrup around. Decorate with the reserved orange rind and sprigs of mint From the book "Perfect Baking" published by Parragon in 2008.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 orange
- 4 ounces softened butter
- butter, for greasing
- 4 ounces superfine sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup semolina
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- strained plain yogurt, to serve
- 1 1/4 cups orange juice
- 2/3 cup superfine sugar
- 8 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1Grate the rind from the orange, reserving some for decoration and squeeze the juice from one half.
- 2Place butter,orange rind and sugar in a bowl and beat together until light and fluffy, gradually beat in eggs.
- 3In a seperate bowl, mix the semolina, ground almonds and baking powder, then fold in the creamed mixture with the orange juice. Spoon the batter into a greased and base - lined pan.
- 4Bake in a preheated oven @ 350F, for 30 to 40 minutes or until well risen and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- 5To make the syrup:.
- 6Place the orange juice, sugar and cardamom pods in a pan over low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil and let simmer for ca. 4 minutes or until syrupy.
- 7Turn the cake out into a deep serving dish.
- 8Using a skewer, make holes over the surface of the warm cake.
- 9Strain the syrup into a separate bowl and spoon 3/4 of it over the cake.
- 10Dust with confectioners sugar and cut into slices.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Orange and Almond Cake
Serving Size: 1 (146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 407.9
- Calories from Fat 169
- Total Fat 18.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 76.9 mg
- Sodium 188.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 36.0 g
- Protein 7.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: