Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Flavorful and crisp, a wonderful accompaniment to many foods. Adapted from Partyline with the Hearty Boys.
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 1.23 ml curry powder
- 1.23 ml paprika
- 1.23 ml ground cumin
- 236.59 ml flour, plus
- 22.18 ml flour
- 9.85 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground pepper
- 10 oil-cured olives, pitted and chopped
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 118.29 ml water
- extra virgin olive oil
- Make the spice mixture by mixing all of the seasonings in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place the flour, sugar, salt, pepper and olives in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Add the olive oil and stir well with a fork. Add the water and continue to stir until a ball forms. Sprinkle a work surface generously with flour and turn the dough out onto the surface. Knead until the dough is velvety smooth, about 2 minutes. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Take the dough from the refrigerator and flatten into a disk on a floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out as thinly as possible into an oval. Roll the dough onto the pin and transfer it to a baking sheet that has been brushed with olive oil.
- Brush the dough with olive oil and sprinkle with the spice mixture. Place the pan in the oven until the bread is crisp and deep golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool, and break into pieces. The flatbread can be made up to 2 days in advance, wrapped in plastic wrap, and kept in a dry place. Enjoy!
- Note: This goes good with Black Olive Mayonnaise!
The spices on this make it amazingly yummy and it is very easy to make. I cut the recipe in half and headed the warning of another reviewer and made sure my olives were not too big and started watching it at 15 minutes. At 17-18 minutes the edges were starting to look like they were trying to burn so pulled out and it looked perfectly well done and the edge I broke off was crisp and tasty. I made in the morning and let sit out till late afternoon / early evening at which point the edges were still crisp but the center had some tooth. I am thinking I need to prick the center with a fork to get the center crisper or make thicker so that it is chewier. Ok all that said we loved the flavor and thought it went well with Tunisian Mashed Carrot Salad. Thanks for the post.
I loved the spice combination and flavor. Unfortunately, it wasn't as as crisp as I was expecting. The end result was a little tough and chewy. This is probably my fault and not the recipe itself, as I may have over-mixed the dough. I will try this again; it was very yummy.
This is easy to make. Liked the seasoning on the flatbread. Made Black Olive Mayonnaise #190952 by Sharon123 to go with it. Made for ZWT6 the No-Nonsense Nibblers.