Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Back in high school we did a project in our gym where we cooked food from all over the world. I made these delicious little things and they were an instant hit! I ended up on the front page of the newspaper after everything was said and done. Kids love it! I just make it less spicy for them!
Ingredients for Meatballs
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped (small bouquet)
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon Tex-Mex seasoning (depends how spicy you want it)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- olive oil
Ingredients for Tomato Sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tex-Mex seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Mix the first 9 ingredients of the meatballs together.
- Using a teaspoon for size, form the meatball and roll around in your hand. Place aside, once all meatballs are made, heat the olive oil in a pan and cook the meatballs until they are almost cooked through.
- Then add the 3 ingredients for the sauce together and poor over meatballs, allow to simmer until meatballs are completely cooked.
- Meat mixture should be prepared night before but I never do and it's just as good!
- *I've also started cooking them in the oven and it's easier and just as tasty! I cook them 3/4 of the way then finish them in the sauce on the stove top or if I'm doing them for a party, throw them in the slow cooker with the sauce for a few hours. I even serve them in the slow cooker to keep them nice and warm.
- * I LOVE garlic and the tex-mex spice. I always add more -- If unsure how much to add, keep in mind you can always add a bit at a time into the sauce. I always enjoy a lot of sauce. I like to double the sauce, cook some garlic rice and serve everything on the rice.
- Have fun with this! I always play with the spices and amounts. Let me know if you come up with something good!
They take a while to do but sooo worth it in the end!