Recipe by windhorse23
This is from a grocery store ad--here for safekeeping. I made it and found it wonderful.
Top Review by Red Dog
This was very tasty, with just the right amount of spice. I did find though,that I had to cook the lentils a lot longer than 25 minutes to get them soft. I also found that I had to simmer the pot with the cover off, or there would've been too much water, but maybe that's because I like my lentil soup thick, I don't know.
- 2 tablespoons basil oil (I used Wegman's Basting Oil) or 2 tablespoons other flavored oil (I used Wegman's Basting Oil)
- 8 ounces mirepoix (equal parts onions, celery and carrots diced fine)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 16 ounces lentils
- 28 ounces diced Italian tomatoes (or use stewed tomatoes)
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds or 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add mirepoix and garlic. Cook, stirring, until soft but not browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in lentils, tomtoes, stock, coriander, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon and cayenne.
- Cook, covered, about 25 minutes.
- Using a stick blender, puree for about 15 seconds.
- Stir in garbanzo beans and cilantro. Add salt if desired (I don't think it's necessary). Heat through and serve.