Recipe by breezermom
I like this lentil soup because it includes a couple of veggies too. The red lentils are specified in the recipe because they are smaller, rounder, and they do not have the seed coat of brown lentils. However, you can substitute brown lentils if necessary. I just love the spices in this! This is a long list of ingredients, but it involves very little effort. You should be able to have it on the table in an hour or so.
Top Review by Deantini
I love N. African lentil soups and this was no exception! The flavours are awesome and it is such a healthy meal. I omitted the spinach - personal preference - added a bit more onions, carrot and green onions. I did not have fresh parsley - so instead doubled the fresh cilantro. I cut way back on the oil and did not add the noodles.I also gave it a quick whirl with an emersion blender for a smoother soup.
- 8 spinach, leaves (use large ones)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, scraped and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 cup tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup fine egg noodles, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the stems from the spinach; wash the leaves thoroughly, and pat dry. Cut into thin strips. Set aside.
- Saute onion in olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until tender. Add the sliced carrot and garlic, and saute, stirring constantly, until crisp-tender. Add the chicken broth and the next 13 ingredients (up to the salt -- leave out the noodles, reserved spinach, and yogurt). Bring to a boil. Partially cover, and reduce heat. Simmer 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Stir in the reserved spinach and noodles; cook, partially covered, 7 minutes or until noodles are done. (Depends on the noodles you picked!). Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls. Top each serving with a dollop of yogurt.