Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Oh, yum, yum...I bought a big bottle of whole cloves at Sam's a while ago and found this recipe to use them. It is fantastic. I pretty much followed it exactly, except for the garlic change. I also added two diced Roma tomatoes. It is very healthy--low fat, with only 2 tsp olive oil!!--and authentic-tasting.
- 1 1⁄4 cups green lentils, preferably french
- 1 small onion, sliced in half
- 3 whole cloves
- 5 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic granules (this is what the original recipe called for; I use minced garlic, and definitely more than 1/4 tsp!!)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped roasted red pepper (about 1/2 pepper)
- Pick over lentils to remove any stones and rinse well.
- Stick one onion half with the cloves.
- In a large saucepan, combine water, lentils and the onion stuck with the cloves.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Discard onion.
- Drain lentils and let cool slightly.
- In a bowl, combine lemon juice, olive oil, mint, cumin, coriander, salt and garlic.
- Add lentils and toss to mix.
- Finely chop the remaining onion half and add to the lentils along with the roasted peppers.
- Chill at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Absolutely delicious! I really really liked the Middle Eastern flavour. I tried it as a salad and also as filling for a pita sandwich, along with some spinach leaves. Excellent both ways! I used French lentils. I used 2 cloves garlic, and added 1 small diced tomato. I roasted one small red pepper, and when it was peeled and chopped it wasn't quite enough. Easy to make, and very tasty! I will be making this again.
Delicious if you like a cold lentil dish. I used fresh mint instead of dried and doubled the cumin. And threw in about 2 tbsp fresh parsley. I served it with plain yogurt. This is a great recipe.
It was very good! Maybe next time I'll add more of the roasted red pepper. All in all, excellent flavour, good balance, thank you for the recipe!