Oh, yum, yum...I bought a big bottle of whole cloves at Sam's a while ago and found this recipe to use them. It is fantastic. I pretty much followed it exactly, except for the garlic change. I also added two diced Roma tomatoes. It is very healthy--low fat, with only 2 tsp olive oil!!--and authentic-tasting.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups green lentils, preferably french
- 1 small onion, sliced in half
- 3 whole cloves
- 5 cups water
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic granules (this is what the original recipe called for; I use minced garlic, and definitely more than 1/4 tsp!!)
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red pepper (about 1/2 pepper)
- 1Pick over lentils to remove any stones and rinse well.
- 2Stick one onion half with the cloves.
- 3In a large saucepan, combine water, lentils and the onion stuck with the cloves.
- 4Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- 5Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.
- 6Discard onion.
- 7Drain lentils and let cool slightly.
- 8In a bowl, combine lemon juice, olive oil, mint, cumin, coriander, salt and garlic.
- 9Add lentils and toss to mix.
- 10Finely chop the remaining onion half and add to the lentils along with the roasted peppers.
- 11Chill at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- 12Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Lentil Salad (Healthy)
Serving Size: 1 (273 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 249.5
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 541.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.0 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 16.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: