Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Serve this topped with sautéed onions. Other greens could be used in place of the kale. 4 servings. 45 min
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 7 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown lentils
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Sauté onions, carrot and garlic in the oil. Add water, cumin, pepper and the lentils. Bring to a simmer.
- Cook until lentils are tender; about 20 minutes.
- Add kale, parsley, salt and lemon juice and cook for 10 minutes longer until kale is wilted.
Love, love, love this dish! I omitted the carrots and added extra cumin and paprika. Instead of chicken broth, I used plain water. To finish the dish off, I sauteed half an onion in a little oil, added cumin seeds and red chili pepper flakes, and added this oil mixture to the stew. Perfection :)
This was an awesome recipe! I also added smoked paprika and one vegetable bouillon cube (because I didn't have any broth) which really kicked up the flavor. If you add the cube, you don't really need any salt!
This is flavorful and yummy and hearty. Like an earlier person said, I added more cumin :)