Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This dish includes chicken, lemon,cilantro and couscous. Posted for Zaar World Tour III.
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 medium garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1133.98 g skinless chicken
- 29.58 ml flour
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 591.47 ml water, divided
- 0.59 ml saffron
- 2.46 ml ground ginger
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml paprika
- 1.23 ml salt
- 44.37 ml lemon juice
- 2 grated lemons, rind of
- 118.29 ml green olives, pitted and coarsley chopped
- 29.58 ml minced fresh cilantro
- 177.44 ml couscous
- fresh ground black pepper
- In a food processor, finely chop onion and garlic. Dredge chicken in flour.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Saute chicken and onion mixture until mixture has softened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in one cup water, saffron, ginger, cumin, paprika, salt and lemon peel.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 35 minutes. Remove chicken from sauce and allow to cool a few minutes.
- Debone chicken and cut meat into small pieces. Put meat back into sauce with the lemon juice, olives, cilantro and pepper. Simmer gently 5 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the couscous and bring back to a boil.
- Remove from heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Spoon chicken mixture over couscous and serve.
This was a lovely dish, very easy to make and the flavour was exquisite.... i made it exactly as directed but i served it with rice instead of the couscous..... it had a lovely lemony flavour that wasnt too overpowering, the spices added a bit of kick and every now and then when you bite into an olive it just adds a nice salty surprise that truely compliments this dish. Thanyou so much for posting. Will be making this again for certain :)
Really yummy, have made this twice. First was for 4 friends, including a vegetarian: we split up everything in two pans, added tofu to one and chicken to the other - it came out great (although we chatted too much and chicken got a little dry!) Second time I paid closer attention, kept the cooking time in check, and DH and I thoroughly enjoyed!
Very good! I followed the directions, except for one substitution. Instead of the lemon zest, I used some preserved lemon. It was a great addition. The dish was very satisfying and I wouldn't hesitate to have it again. Thnx for sharing your recipe, cookiedog. Made for the Voracious Vagabonds for ZWT 6.