Recipe by cookiedog
This dish includes chicken, lemon,cilantro and couscous. Posted for Zaar World Tour III.
Top Review by Kristine L.
This was a lovely dish, very easy to make and the flavour was exquisite.... i made it exactly as directed but i served it with rice instead of the couscous..... it had a lovely lemony flavour that wasnt too overpowering, the spices added a bit of kick and every now and then when you bite into an olive it just adds a nice salty surprise that truely compliments this dish. Thanyou so much for posting. Will be making this again for certain :)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 medium garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 1⁄2 lbs skinless chicken
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups water, divided
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 grated lemons, rind of
- 1⁄2 cup green olives, pitted and coarsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 3⁄4 cup couscous
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor, finely chop onion and garlic. Dredge chicken in flour.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Saute chicken and onion mixture until mixture has softened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in one cup water, saffron, ginger, cumin, paprika, salt and lemon peel.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 35 minutes. Remove chicken from sauce and allow to cool a few minutes.
- Debone chicken and cut meat into small pieces. Put meat back into sauce with the lemon juice, olives, cilantro and pepper. Simmer gently 5 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the couscous and bring back to a boil.
- Remove from heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Spoon chicken mixture over couscous and serve.