Lizzie Rodriquez's Note:
From most recent book. Haven't tried. While the ingredient list for this recipe may seem long, it largely features common pantry spices. When combined, these spices make up a version of ras-al-hanut, an intriguing blend that is widely used on Moroccan style meats and fished. If you prefer, look for prepared ras al-hanut or another Moroccan blend in the spice section of your supermarket. Mixed with a little extra virgin olive oil, these spices make a wet rub that blackens while cooking, giving the chicken a nice, exotic taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 24 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast halves, 4- 2 oz. pieces
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 lemon
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 lb summer squash, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/3 cup pitted green olives
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1Pound chicken breast between two sheets of wax paper to 1/4 inches thick.
- 2In small bowl, combine the cumin, ginger, cinnamon, pepper, allspice, salt, and cayenne. Finely grate zest of lemon into spice mixture, Squeeze 1 T juice from lemon and add to mixture. Add 3 t of the oil to spice mixture and stir to combine.
- 3Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken, in batches if necessary. Cook, turning, until blackened on the outside and cooked through, 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Loosely cover with foil to keep warm.
- 4Add remaining 1 t oil to the skillet and return to medium heat. Add reserve onion slices and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon and scraping up any brown bits, 3 minutes.
- 5Add squash, oilved, and water. Season lightly with additional salt and pepper to taste. Stir well.
- 6Cover, and cook until squash is tender, 4-5 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Squeeze a little more lemon juice over chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Lemon Chicken W/Summer Squash & Gr. Olives (Sbd P1)
Serving Size: 1 (314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 280.9
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 108.8 mg
- Sodium 522.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 37.8 g