Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb lamb, cut into chunks
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 onions, diced
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon powdered saffron
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 potatoes, peeled & cut into chunks
- 2 large carrots, peeled & cut into chunks
- 2 zucchini, trimmed & sliced
- 2 celery ribs, trimmed & cut into chunks
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked pasta (such as bowties or macaroni)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large pot combine the olive oil & butter. Saute the lamb, tomato, & onion for 3 minutes. Then add the spices & continue to cook for 5 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the water & broth and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat then simmer for 1 hour.
- Put all the vegetables & cilantro into the pot, cover & simmer for additional 30 minutes or until both the meat & vegs are tender. Stir from time to time & add more water if needed.
- Add in the lemon juice & vermicelli and cook for 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste, adding more salt, pepper, & cayenne if needed.