Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a foolproof lamb stew recipe that my whole family loves. It's not a lot of work and can do it's thing on the stove while I play on Recipezaar!
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 lbs lamb stew meat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup red wine
- 1 large orange
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Combine salt, pepper, cinnamon and allspice in a medium bowl.
- Add the lamb and stir to coat with the spice mixture.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy, large pot over medium high heat.
- Working in batches, add lamb to the pot and brown on all sides, about 4 minutes for each batch.
- Return all the lamb to the pot.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger to the stew and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the wine and orange juice and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to a simmer, cooking for about 1 hours and 30 minutes, stirring every once in a while.
- Grate the peel from the orange and set aside.
- Segment the orange cutting off all the bitter white pith, and chop coarsely.
- Add oranges and grated peel to lamb, cooking about 20 more minutes.
- Stir in the parsley and honey, and more salt and pepper to your taste.
Very nice. I made it with stewing lamb in the slow cooker. Found the flavours a bit muddy, so added some fresh coriander to try and clear things up. Served over cous cous. A yummy meal, thanks for sharing this :)
Excellent! Indeed an easy recipe and a crowd pleaser :) Couple of possible variations: - use perl onions instead of chopped. Brown them slightly before garlic and ginger. Add browned lamb after that. - A handfull or two of golden raisins could also add some sweetness. - I also tried blood oranges, nice kick..
Lovely flavours and quick to make. I did add just one whole clove to give it an extra bite.