Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I came across this recipe some years ago in a woman's magazine and it has become a huge hit with my family. It takes a while to prepare, but it is well worth it! This recipe makes quite a large batch, so you can freeze some for meals at a later stage.
- 45 ml olive oil
- 2 kg lamb, cut into medium sized chunks (the knuckles work best)
- 20 ml mustard powder
- 20 ml ginger
- 30 ml coriander
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 65 ml brown treacle, sugar
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 45 ml soy sauce
- 50 ml Thai sweet chili sauce (or to taste)
- 900 ml beef stock, prepared ahead of time
- 65 ml honey
- 500 g butternut squash, cubed
- 500 g sweet potatoes, cubed
- 10 ml cornflour, for thickening if necessary
- 125 ml parsley, chopped, for garnishing
- Heat the oil in a very large pot.
- Add the meat, ginger, mustard, coriander, cinnamon and sugar. Brown lightly.
- Add the onions and saute until translucent. Add the soy sauces, sweet Thai chilli sauce, stock and honey. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 - 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender. Stir frequently to prevent sticking and replensh liquids as necessary with water.
- Add the butternut & sweetpotato and cook for a further 15 - 20 minutes or until cooked through and tender.
- Check and adjsut seasoning. Use the cornflour to thicken only if necessary.
- Sprinkle with parsley to garnish and serve with brown rice, couscous or a selection of steamed vegetables.
5 Excellent Stars ! DH made this today and while the ingredient list is long, it wasn't hard to put together and the smell in the house when I got home from work was... yummmm! The taste of the cinnamon sticks REALLY comes though and DH did comment that maybe next time he will make it less sweetness ( he doesn't like sweet stuff in meat and veg dishes)... I told him that if he did that then the spicyness of the chili sauce etc would not be so well balanced, and that the taste wouldn't be at all the same. DH is fairly fussy about stews, but loves lamb and this recipe was a HIT with him. He's demanding that I keep this one safe so that he can make it again and again and again..., and THAT earns any recipe 5 stars immediately. He used pumpkin and sweet potato, but we only had lamb neck chops (they worked fine) and followed the recipe exactly. This is a dish of very strong flavours and is pungent and spicy and PACKED full of flavours. If you have a sense of adventure then this is a dish for you and if you love lamb then whoo hoo, you are gonna have fun here. DH has now commented on making this dish again 3 times since dinner... it's saved into my recipe book and WILL be enjoyed again soon. This is a winner of a recipe, Thanks!!!