Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Tasty elegant lamb shank recipe adapted from the womens weekly. Prep time does not take in the soaking time for the beans.
- 354.88 ml dried haricot beans (can use navy, cannellini, great northern, 300g)
- 12 french trimmed lamb shanks (approx 3 kg.)
- 59.14 ml plain flour, to toss lamb shanks in
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, chopped finely (340g)
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 9.85 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml ground cardamom
- 2.46 ml ground ginger
- 9.85 ml finely grated fresh lemon rind
- 80 ml lemon juice
- 2 (800 g) can tomatoes
- 591.47 ml beef stock
- 59.14 ml tomato paste
- 709.77 ml water
- 709.77 ml milk
- 473.18 ml polenta
- 9.85 ml finely grated fresh lemon rind, extra
- 59.14 ml loosely packed finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 59.14 ml loosely packed finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Cover beans with cold water in a large bowl and soak overnight, drain Coat the lamb in the flour; shake off excess.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan; cook the lamb in batches until browned all over.
- Add onion and garlic; cook stirring until the onion is soft.
- Add spices to the pan; cook stirring about 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Stir in the beans, rind, juice, undrained crushed tomatoes, stock and paste and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered for 40 minutes.
- Uncover; simmer for about 50 minutes or until lamb and the beans are tender.
- Heat the water and milk in a large saucepan (do not boil).
- Add the polenta; cook stirring about 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and polenta softens.
- Serve the lamb mixture on polenta and sprinkled with combined extra rind, parsley and coriander.