2 hrs 25 mins
Tasty elegant lamb shank recipe adapted from the womens weekly. Prep time does not take in the soaking time for the beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups dried haricot beans (can use navy, cannellini, great northern, 300g)
- 12 french trimmed lamb shanks (approx 3 kg.)
- 1/4 cup plain flour, to toss lamb shanks in
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, chopped finely (340g)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh lemon rind
- 80 ml lemon juice
- 2 (400 g) cans tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups polenta
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh lemon rind, extra
- 1/4 cup loosely packed finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup loosely packed finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1Cover beans with cold water in a large bowl and soak overnight, drain Coat the lamb in the flour; shake off excess.
- 2Heat the oil in a large saucepan; cook the lamb in batches until browned all over.
- 3Add onion and garlic; cook stirring until the onion is soft.
- 4Add spices to the pan; cook stirring about 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- 5Stir in the beans, rind, juice, undrained crushed tomatoes, stock and paste and bring to the boil.
- 6Reduce heat and simmer covered for 40 minutes.
- 7Uncover; simmer for about 50 minutes or until lamb and the beans are tender.
- 8Heat the water and milk in a large saucepan (do not boil).
- 9Add the polenta; cook stirring about 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and polenta softens.
- 10Serve the lamb mixture on polenta and sprinkled with combined extra rind, parsley and coriander.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan lamb shanks with polenta and white beans
Serving Size: 1 (1130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1539.6
- Calories from Fat 684
- Total Fat 76.0 g
- Saturated Fat 30.8 g
- Cholesterol 501.2 mg
- Sodium 897.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 153.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried haricot beans