Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Recipe from Aziz Bakhalla from the Alhamra Restaurant in Manly, NSW, Australia. I have altered a little to suit the dried herbs & spices I was using and also converted several things to teaspoons, as a US tablespoon is 3 teaspoons whereas in Australia it's 4 teaspoons. Note the preparation time does not include one hour for marination. I thought it was splendid, but the marinade is about flavour not making the meat more tender so make sure you start with a really nice piece of lamb.
- 1 kg lamb backstraps (approx 2 pounds) or 1 kg lamb fillet (approx 2 pounds)
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 3 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Cut lamb backstraps into 2cm / 1" strips.
- Place lamb and all marindade ingredients into a bowl and mix well using your hands.
- Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
- Grilling on a BBQ until medium/rare is suggested, although a little longer won't do any harm if you like it a little more done but don't go too overboard.
- Serve with a light salad and minted yoghurt. I used Recipe#53979 for the minted yoghurt.
Lamb is really just a once-in-a-great while thing at my house, but during the current ZWT I seem to be fixing it quite a bit! I did cut the recipe in half for the 2 of us, then made (as suggested) Yoghurt and Mint Sauce for my other half, while I had mine with a plum sauce since I'm not much into mint! Great spice combo here which made for a very satisfying lamb dinner! [Made & reviewed while in North Africa during ZWT6]
ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC as can be! Would would WANT to give this MORE than 5 stars? ME!!! I oil sprayed the meat, used George Foreman Grill! BOY OH BOY!! WHOO HOO did this taste/recipe give me a T-H-R-I-L-L!!! Thanks!
I made this recipe for Hubby and Little Miss (DD) and they both enjoyed it very much. Lamb Backstrap is hubbies new favourite Lamb cut so Hubby requested for dinner tonight. I allow this to marinate most of the day and Hubby said it had perfect amount of spices and the Lamb was very tender. Served it with the suggested sauce (Yoghurt and Mint Sauce). Thank you Peter J