Recipe by Peter J
Recipe from Aziz Bakhalla from the Alhamra Restaurant in Manly, NSW, Australia. I have altered a little to suit the dried herbs & spices I was using and also converted several things to teaspoons, as a US tablespoon is 3 teaspoons whereas in Australia it's 4 teaspoons. Note the preparation time does not include one hour for marination. I thought it was splendid, but the marinade is about flavour not making the meat more tender so make sure you start with a really nice piece of lamb.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Lamb is really just a once-in-a-great while thing at my house, but during the current ZWT I seem to be fixing it quite a bit! I did cut the recipe in half for the 2 of us, then made (as suggested) recipe #53979 for my other half, while I had mine with a plum sauce since I'm not much into mint! Great spice combo here which made for a very satisfying lamb dinner! [Made & reviewed while in North Africa during ZWT6]
- 1 kg lamb backstraps (approx 2 pounds) or 1 kg lamb fillet (approx 2 pounds)
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 3 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut lamb backstraps into 2cm / 1" strips.
- Place lamb and all marindade ingredients into a bowl and mix well using your hands.
- Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
- Grilling on a BBQ until medium/rare is suggested, although a little longer won't do any harm if you like it a little more done but don't go too overboard.
- Serve with a light salad and minted yoghurt. I used Recipe#53979 for the minted yoghurt.