Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
"Fragrant spices and dried fruits lend a Moroccan flavor" to this slow cooker stew. Serve over couscous alongside a small bowl of harissa sauce if you like spicy dishes. I love my slow cooker and this recipe really sounds delicous. This recipe is from my Fresh From the Slow Cooker Vegetarian Recipe cookbook.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped (or a red bell pepper)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 8 ounces green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup mixed dried fruit (apricots, apple slices, prunes, raisens, etc)
- 1⁄4 cup green olives, drained, halved and pitted
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves, minced
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the shallots, carrot, bell pepper and garlic. Cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the ginger, cinnamon, cumin, paprika, and turmeric and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds to bring out the flavors.
- Transfer the mixture to a 4-6 quart slow cooker. Add the green beans, chickpeas, tomatoes, stock, and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- About 20 minutes before serving, add the peas and dried fruit.
- When ready to serve, stir in the olives and sprinkle with the parsley. Taste to adjust the seasonings and serve hot.