1/4 Photos of Moroccan Honeycomb Pancakes (Beghrir)
1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 10 mins
These Moroccan pancakes have a light spongy texture. They are cooked on one side in a griddle or flat earthenware pan so that little holes prick the top & give it the attractive honeycomb appearance. Beghrir is often served with honey & melted butter. This recipe makes a large number of pancakes. They can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. To cut down on cooking time I use a griddle so I can make several pancakes at a time. If you use fast rising yeast the batter may thicken as it sits. Try making 1 or 2 pancakes & if they seem too thick then add a small amount of water to the batter, a couple of spoonfuls. This should take care of the problem. (The prep time the rest time for the batter.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fine semolina (yellow not white)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- canola oil
- 1Mix the sugar with the warm water then add the yeast. Stir until well mixed then set aside in a warm place for 5-10 minutes, or until bubbly.
- 2Mix the water & milk together & let it sit out until lukewarm. Beat the eggs & then add them to the milk mixture.
- 3Sift the flour, semolina, & salt into a large shallow bowl. Slowly pour half the milk mixture into the flour, stirring constantly by hand until well mixed.
- 4Add the yeast mixture to the dough & beat vigorously by hand in order to air it and to eliminate any curds. Add a little more of the milk mixture from time to time, until the batter is runny smooth (like thick cream). Cover with a towel & set aside to rest for 1-2 hours. (The longer you lest the batter rest the more holes will be in the pancakes).
- 5When ready to cook, rub your pan with a paper towel that has been dipped in canola oil & then heat over medium-low heat.
- 6Gently stir the batter then pour 1 small ladle (3-4 tbsp) onto the pan, smooth into a perfect circle with the bottom of the ladle, & cook until bubbles appear over the surface of the pancake & all trace of raw dough disappears. You do not want to bottom to turn brown so if you need to you can turn it over for a second or two to finish the top side.
- 7Place the pancakes in a large heatproof shallow bowl in overlapping circles and keep them warm until ready to serve. Do not stack them or they will be liable to stick together.
- 8Heat the butter and honey with water in a pan. Simmer for 5 minutes then place in a small serving bowl.
- 9Drizzle the honey mixture over the beghrir & then roll it up. Eat with your fingers & have fun -- .
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Honeycomb Pancakes (Beghrir)
Serving Size: 1 (1265 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 92.4
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 20.7 mg
- Sodium 110.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 2.8 g