This thick soup is a wonderful comfort food. It's easy to make, delicious and healthy! I know the spices sound strange, but the end result is an excellent savory soup. Good enough for company!
- 1⁄2 cup lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained, liquid reserved
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or garbanzo beans)
- 1⁄2 cup orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (or ketchup)
- Cook lentils in pot of boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Drain.
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, parsley, cilantro, ginger, and cinnamon. Saute 5 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Stir in tomatoes and saute 5 minutes more.
- Stir in broth, chickpeas, lentils, reserved tomato liquid, and 3 cups water.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 45 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring occassionally.
- In separate bowl, whisk flour with 1 cup water.
- Whisk in cilantro, lemon juice and tomato paste.
- Add mixture to soup.
- Add orzo to soup.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until orzo is soft.
I followed this right on target and we loved it! Yum, lentils! I also used fresh parsley, cilantro, and ginger. The orzo was just as completely yummy and was so good for comfort anld so good for your soul. And the cinnamon was just the right amount, and gave this a delightful twist. I also used fresh tomatoes with the juice from the tomato instead of canned tomatoes. Loved it, and will be making it again this weekend, made for *Veg Vegan* Swap September 2009.
Delish! I really liked this quite a bit. The spices and herbs were right on. It's quite simple to make as well. Only change I might make in the future would be to use a grain instead of pasta (maybe quinoa), just to up the nutritional valu. Thanks for posting, I'd make this again for sure. Made for the April 08 veggie swap.
This soup was easy to make and delicious. I used chicken broth instead of vegetable because that's what I had and I didn't use cilantro because I've never tried it and wasn't sure I would like it. I love all kinds of soup and I will definitely be making this again.