1/4 Photos of Moroccan Harira Soup
1 hr 15 mins
Wish I Could Cook's Note:
This thick soup is a wonderful comfort food. It's easy to make, delicious and healthy! I know the spices sound strange, but the end result is an excellent savory soup. Good enough for company!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained, liquid reserved
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or garbanzo beans)
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (or ketchup)
- 1Cook lentils in pot of boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Drain.
- 2Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, parsley, cilantro, ginger, and cinnamon. Saute 5 minutes or until onion is soft.
- 3Stir in tomatoes and saute 5 minutes more.
- 4Stir in broth, chickpeas, lentils, reserved tomato liquid, and 3 cups water.
- 5Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- 6Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 45 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring occassionally.
- 7In separate bowl, whisk flour with 1 cup water.
- 8Whisk in cilantro, lemon juice and tomato paste.
- 9Add mixture to soup.
- 10Add orzo to soup.
- 11Cook for 5 minutes or until orzo is soft.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Harira Soup
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 160.6
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 182.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 6.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: