Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Rich and tasty, this dish is full of nutrients and is yummy too. From BC Liquor Stores' Taste Magazine.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup dry white wine, or
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for brushing
- TO MAKE SAUCE.
- Heat oil in heavy pan with a tight lid.Add onion, carrot, and celery and saute until soft, but not brown.
- Add tomatoes, wine or stock, and tomato paste and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Stir in cinnamon, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, and raisins.
- Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until thick.
- Remove form heat and add 1/4 c cilantro.
- TO MAKE DISH.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease bar-be-que and preheat.
- Slice eggplants lengthwise into 1/4 in slices and brush both sides with olive oil.
- Grill eggplant on both sides until golden brown and soft or fry in frying pan.
- Oil a 12 cup baking dish.
- Spread a layer of sauce on the bottom, then a single layer of eggplant, repeating until eggplant is all used up, ending with sauce.
- Overlap tomato slices on top and sprinkle with pine nuts.
- Bake for 30 minutes until nuts are golden.
- Let rest for a few minutes, sprinkle with cilantro, and serve.